J.H. Larson History

Page Loading...

85 Years of Quality Products & Service

In the summer of 1931, near the beginning of the Great Depression, Joe Larson founded J.H. Larson Company with his wife, Lucille, in Roberts, Wisconsin.  They operated the company out of thier home where Joe conducted sales and made deliveries in a Model T Ford coupe.  Lucille kept track of the bookkeeping and accounting.

 

  The first products sold were radio parts and batteries for the booming radio industry.  In 1933, Joe, Lucille, and their three-year-old daughter Joy, moved to Hudson, Wisconsin.  They continued to operate the company from their home where they inventoried two nationally known product lines: Sylvania radio tubes and Eveready batteries.  It was their relationship with Eveready that convinced Joe he would have to secure a permanent place of operation somewhere oustide of Hudson if he wanted to remain a distributor of their products.

Joe and Lucille Larson

Joe & Lucille Larson (1960)

 

 

Branch Photo

J.H. Larson Watertown Branch (1947)

In 1936, the Larsons opened their first storefront warehouse operation in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  The Triangle Conduit and Cable product line was taken on, which expanded the company from radio supplies to electrical products.  Daily sales at this time averaged $6.00 and $8.00.  In addition to the post-World War II boom, the rural electric co-op movement was growing throughout the midwest which led to increased sales in electrical products.  This prompted the Larsons to open a third branch in Watertown, South Dakota in 1947.  Now, with over four generations of family leadership in its 85 years, the company has grown to a total of nine locations in Minnesota, Wisconsin and South Dakota.

 

Today, J.H. Larson Company has been nationally recognized as being in the top 100 distributors in the electrical, plumbing and HVAC industries.  The company also offers premier plumbing and lighting fixtures with three locations of Pahl's Designer Showrooms in Wisconsin and South Dakota in addition to Lappin Lighting in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  Current ownership remains in the family with Greg Pahl, the President and CEO, Luke Pahl in Purchasing, and Jasmine Pahl, Accounting.  J.H. Larson remains dedicated to its employees, its customers, and its vendors and is positioned to move into the future as a family owned business.